Original posted on www.stvparenting.com
According to the American Dental Association, there is recent good news about progress against cancer. It is now easier than ever to detect oral cancer early, when the opportunity for a cure is great. Currently only half of all patients diagnosed with oral cancer survive more than five years.
You Should Know:
- Oral cancer often starts as a tiny, unnoticed white or red spot or sore anywhere in the mouth.
- It can affect any area of the oral cavity including the lips, gum tissue, cheek lining, tongue and the hard or soft palate.
Other Signs Include:
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A color change of the oral tissues
- A lump, thickening, rough spot, crust or small eroded area
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing or moving the jaw or tongue
- A change in the way the teeth fit together
Regular Dental Check-ups Important
Regular dental check-ups, including an examination of the entire mouth, are essential in the early detection of cancerous and pre-cancerous conditions. You may have a very small, but dangerous, oral spot or sore and not be aware of it. Be sure your dentist is providing you with an oral cancer exam at each and every cleaning visit. Affinity Dental has the skills and tools to ensure that early signs of cancer and pre-cancerous conditions are identified, and we ensure this is a regular part of each dental visit!
Dr. Kelly B. Wettstein owns Affinity Dental on the SE corner of Ocotillo & Rittenhouse Rd, 21321 E. Ocotillo Rd #130, Queen Creek, AZ. He has been practicing for 10 years and happily sees patients of all ages. Call (480) 882-2300, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Affinity Dental website at www.AffinityDentalAZ.com. Affinity Dental is pleased to provide a $50 Visa Gift Card when you schedule 2 or more of your family members for their initial exam, x-rays and cleaning! Affinity Dental also accepts most insurances, has convenient hours, and a variety of wonderful amenities to provide you with a soothing and compassionate dental experience.